Earlier this year I discovered that there are lots of people living and working on the road full time, all while living in a Recreational Vehicle (RV). As Ashley slowly warmed up to that idea, we began to explore the various types of RV’s out there. Once she was sold on the idea, we started trying to choose a new home on wheels for us. We are still trying to decide, but we have narrowed it down a bit. Let’s start with a brief overview of the types of RV’s.
These RV’s are generally bus-like in appearance. They vary widely in length and price.
- Large living space
- Lots of storage
- Most class A’s are very large
These RV’s have been converted from a passenger van into a motor-home.
- Most can fit into a normal parking space
- Will fit into any campground
- Lack of storage
These RV’s are built on a large van or truck chassis. They also range greatly in length and price.
- Typically the safest RV to drive
- Lots of storage
- Ability to tow a vehicle
These RV’s are towed behind your vehicle. They vary widely in size and price. There are a ton of manufacturers to choose from.
- Lots of options to choose from
- Requires a vehicle to tow the RV
- Smaller travel trailers can fit into any campground
These RV’s are individual units that are secured into the back of pickup trucks. They usually have exterior jacks that enable them to be loaded on and off of the truck bed.
- Very compact
- Allows you to use the truck you already own to camp in
- These can get very heavy and cumbersome
We have gotten the opportunity to look at each type of RV in person. So far we have narrowed our choices down to either a Class C RV or a Travel Trailer. There are still a lot more RV’s that we want to look at in person.
Things to consider when choosing an RV:
- Your budget
- Cargo carrying capacity(CCC) of the RV
- Will you need to tow a vehicle behind your RV
- Can the vehicle you own tow a travel trailer
- Holding tank capacity
- Your own confidence and ability to drive a larger vehicle
- Intended use, are you a weekend camper or full time
- Quality of the RV
- Insulation/four season capability
We plan to attend an RV show in the very near future. Hopefully, we will choose our new home on wheels soon!
Freelance Graphic Designer based in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. I enjoy creating digital art, illustrations and photography. I also enjoy hiking, birding, cooking, reading, traveling and a nice bourbon or two.